Subject: bug#3977: 23.1.50; Tramp slows down Emacs

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:49:22 +0200

Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hallöchen!

Hi,

> When using Emacs locally, you don't see this effect.  However, here
> at work, I start Emacs on my home machine through an SSH tunnel, and
> then Tramp slows down Emacs significantly; not Emacs per se but only
> the display.  For example, I can scroll through a large text file
> and it needs the same amount of time.  But with Tramp, I don't see
> the text scrolling, just reaching the end.

Honestly, I cannot reproduce the effect. How do you start Emacs through
the tunnel? I have done it via

ssh -X otherhost /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

> The reason seems to be that Tramp causes X network traffic
> (approx. 20 TCP packages) every 5 seconds.  Apparently, it makes
> Emacs talking to the local client window in a way.  The 5 seconds
> are very constant.

20 packages every 5 seconds does not sound problematic. But as I said, I
cannot see a difference in network activity with loaded / not loaded
Tramp. Could you, please, analyze these additional packages in more
detail? Which port are they speaking to, which application is behind? Is
it really X?

> Tschö,
> Torsten.

Best regards, Michael.