Subject: [bug#39765] Add package JupyterLab

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 16:37:11 +0200

Hi,

Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> #2 should be quite easy to address: we could arrange to have that
>> feature disabled by default, so that users don’t find themselves
>> unknowingly downloading arbitrary code from npm.
> it’s “disabled” by default, because it is considered experimental in this
> version of JupyterLab. But a user can re-enable it. And the last part is
> entirely client-side, so we cannot disable it completely until we fix #1.
>
>> #1 is a showstopper.  :-/  I suppose that’s a lot of code that would
>> need to be imported from npm, right?
> `jupyter build` downloads about 600 NPM packages, as far as I remember.

OK.

>> That said, it’s a big patch, so it would be even better if we didn’t
>> have to carry it.  Will the next version of ‘notebook’ include it?
> Does not look like it. The pull request[1] has been open for a few months now.
> It’s vital to our use-case and (probably) everyone hosting notebooks, but not
> very useful to the casual home user. So, executive decision: Do you want it in
> guix proper? I’ll just maintain it in my channel[2] otherwise.

(It’s not about what I personally want or don’t want, of course.  :-))
In general, the guideline is to have patches that are either included
upstream, just not in a published release, or are Guix-specific and thus
are not meant to be included upstream.

This patch doesn’t seem to fall in any of these two categories, so I
would prefer not to have it, at least not until upstream has included
it.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.