Subject: [bug#39728] [PATCH] Allow parallel downloads and builds

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:49:02 -0400

Hello!

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi guix!
>
> This patch allows to count builds and downloads separately. The idea is
> that downloads need bandwidth, but no CPU, while builds do not need
> bandwidth, but need CPU. With this patch, guix will be able to download
> substitutes while building unrelated packages. Currently, guix needs to
> wait for the download to finish before proceeding to the build. This
> should reduce the time of guix commands that need to build and download
> things at the same time.
>
> What do you think?

Looks like a neat improvement!  Could you provide a follow-up to
Ludovic's review?  It seems not much is missing (minor cosmetic changes
to commit messages + code and more importantly, the accompanying
documentation update).

Thank you!

Maxim