Subject: Re: bug#39706: 28.0.50; Search prefix nroff-mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 02:40:18 +0200

>> Often logs files have numeric file extensions such as log.1, log.2, ...
>> thus visited in nroff-mode.  I don't care about the wrong mode since
>> they are visited in read-only anyway just for a quick peek.
>> 
>> But the problem is that nroff-mode steals the global prefix M-s
>> used to run search commands.
>> 
>> nroff-mode inherits from text-mode that puts 'center-line'
>> on the key 'M-o M-s', so this is what nroff-mode should use as well:
>
> Wouldn't it be more straight-forward and simple to add .log and .log.N
> to auto-mode-alist, thus preventing nroff-mode from usurping these
> files?

These files were some random files for my particular case.
I can customize auto-mode-alist to handle my use cases.

The point of my bug report is that I accidentally discovered
a problem in nroff-mode that otherwise I don't use.

> IOW, what you propose sounds like a very convoluted and indirect way
> of fixing the problem you described, doesn't it?

The proposed patch fixes nroff-mode to make the search prefix available
for users of nroff-mode.