Subject: Re: [bug#39695] [PATCH] [WIP] gnu: mono: Update to 6.8.0.105.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 12:21:49 +0200

Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Brett!
>>
>> Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Whew! Somebody finally got to it! I tried many times to get mono in a
>>> better shape for Guix, but failed! :) As there are a considerable number
>>> of changes here, would you mind giving a short synopsis of what still
>>> needs to be made before we either reroll a revision or get a final
>>> draft?
>>
>> What still needs to be made?  Beside fixing the tests, the patch I've
>> sent seems to have Mono 5 and 6 working.
>>
>> Final draft of what?  Sorry, I feel that I'm missing some context :)
>>
>> If your question is about the Mono ecosystem, there is a lot of work
>> left to do.  We need a bootstrapped msbuild (the build tool for Mono),
>> and then ideally we would have a mono-build-system.  I can detail this
>> if you want to, let me know.
>>
>> Cheers!
>
> Sorry, I wrote this email last night when I was rather tired. I meant to
> say what work still needs to be done on the patch before we commit it.

Nothing essential, the patch can be merged as is, I believe.

> If our ultimate goal is to get .NET Core (with .NET 5 approaching to
> replace .NET Core and .NET Framework, and eventually Mono as well) we
> should maybe invest time into a general .NET build system. I'm not sure.

Absolutely.  The investment is significant ;)  Maybe the first step
would be to gather a team of volunteers.  This is very low priority for
me personally (I don't even know C#).  Maybe posting about this on the
mailing list and other social media could be a good start.

Cheers!

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/