Subject: [bug#39695] [PATCH] [WIP] gnu: mono: Update to 6.8.0.105.

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:11:28 -0500

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Brett!
>
> Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Whew! Somebody finally got to it! I tried many times to get mono in a
>> better shape for Guix, but failed! :) As there are a considerable number
>> of changes here, would you mind giving a short synopsis of what still
>> needs to be made before we either reroll a revision or get a final
>> draft?
>
> What still needs to be made?  Beside fixing the tests, the patch I've
> sent seems to have Mono 5 and 6 working.
>
> Final draft of what?  Sorry, I feel that I'm missing some context :)
>
> If your question is about the Mono ecosystem, there is a lot of work
> left to do.  We need a bootstrapped msbuild (the build tool for Mono),
> and then ideally we would have a mono-build-system.  I can detail this
> if you want to, let me know.
>
> Cheers!

Sorry, I wrote this email last night when I was rather tired. I meant to
say what work still needs to be done on the patch before we commit it. I
think the work on msbuild will prove to be slightly tricky, as that is
now the default build tool for .NET Core as well, and if I recall
correctly .NET Core and Mono use two different instances and
configurations of msbuild.

If our ultimate goal is to get .NET Core (with .NET 5 approaching to
replace .NET Core and .NET Framework, and eventually Mono as well) we
should maybe invest time into a general .NET build system. I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Brett