Subject: bug#4011 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#3969: 23.0.96; Cannot use File > Visit New File on MS Windows)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:20:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3969: "open new file" icon and menu item don't work as advertised

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3969: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3969
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3969: 23.0.96; Cannot use File > Visit New File on MS Windows
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:13:11 +0800

Drew Adams wrote:
> emacs -Q
>  
> Choose menu item File > Visit New File
>  
> You get the Windows `Find file:' dialog box. Enter the name of a new
> file, e.g. `xxxx.txt', in field `File name:' and click button
> `Open'. You get this error dialog box:
>  
>  Find file:
>  
>   xxxx.txt
>   File not found.
>   Please verify the correct file name was given
>  
>    [OK]
>   

The bug was caused by the change that introduced confirmation for 
partial completions in the minibuffer - now the MUSTMATCH arg to 
read-file-name is not simply nil or non-nil, it can have other special 
values too, which mean confirm rather than prevent entry of non-existent 
files.

But none of the file dialogs were updated for these special values, so 
x-file-dialog is still treating any non-nil value as "require an 
existing file".  The problem these special values try to prevent does 
not really apply to file dialogs, so I have checked in a change that 
treats them as nil when calling x-file-dialog.

Subject: "open new file" icon and menu item don't work as advertised
From: Bostjan Vilfan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:28:30 -0700 (PDT)

From:  <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.1; "open new file" icon and menu item don't work as advertised
--text follows this line--
Clicking on "File" --> "Visit new file" or on leftmost tool bar icon and entering a nonexisting file name results in "File not found" error message.
Regards,
Bostjan

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1250
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <one-window> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<file> <new-file> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <open-file> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<tool-bar> <help>

Recent messages:
Loading utilvilf...done
Mark set
OVERVIEW
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit [2 times]