Subject: Re: bug#3969: 23.0.96; Cannot use File > Visit New File on MS Windows

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:13:11 +0800

Drew Adams wrote:
> emacs -Q
>  
> Choose menu item File > Visit New File
>  
> You get the Windows `Find file:' dialog box. Enter the name of a new
> file, e.g. `xxxx.txt', in field `File name:' and click button
> `Open'. You get this error dialog box:
>  
>  Find file:
>  
>   xxxx.txt
>   File not found.
>   Please verify the correct file name was given
>  
>    [OK]
>   

The bug was caused by the change that introduced confirmation for 
partial completions in the minibuffer - now the MUSTMATCH arg to 
read-file-name is not simply nil or non-nil, it can have other special 
values too, which mean confirm rather than prevent entry of non-existent 
files.

But none of the file dialogs were updated for these special values, so 
x-file-dialog is still treating any non-nil value as "require an 
existing file".  The problem these special values try to prevent does 
not really apply to file dialogs, so I have checked in a change that 
treats them as nil when calling x-file-dialog.