Subject: 25.2; Wrong behaviour of bibtex-autokey-name-change-strings

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:54:39 -0600

For the records:

The bug report below was submitted to auctex (bug#39479).
I am reposting it here.

==================================================================
Hi,

The bibtex-generate-autokey function uses
'bibtex-autokey-name-change-strings' to substitute special or accented
characters or ligatures with ascii characters.

I noticed that it doesn't lead to the intended behaviour for '\oe' and
'\OE', which get converted to 'oee' rather than 'oe'. On the other
hand, '\o', '\"o', and their capitalized counterparts are correctly
converted to 'oe' (and also '\ae' to 'ae').

This quirk seems to be fixed if '\o' and '\oe' are swapped in
bibtex-autokey-name-change-strings. Then all variants are correctly
converted.

So I propose to change the current bibtex-autokey-name-change-strings into

'(("\\\\aa" . "a")
  ("\\\\AA" . "A")
  ("\\\"a\\|\\\\\\\"a\\|\\\\ae" . "ae")
  ("\\\"A\\|\\\\\\\"A\\|\\\\AE" . "Ae")
  ("\\\\i" . "i")
  ("\\\\j" . "j")
  ("\\\\l" . "l")
  ("\\\\L" . "L")
  ("\\\"o\\|\\\\\\\"o\\|\\\\oe\\|\\\\o" . "oe")
  ("\\\"O\\|\\\\\\\"O\\|\\\\OE\\|\\\\O" . "Oe")
  ("\\\"s\\|\\\\\\\"s\\|\\\\3" . "ss")
  ("\\\"u\\|\\\\\\\"u" . "ue")
  ("\\\"U\\|\\\\\\\"U" . "Ue")
  ("\\\\`\\|\\\\'\\|\\\\\\^\\|\\\\~\\|\\\\=\\|\\\\\\.\\|\\\\u\\|\\\\v\\|\\\\H\\|\\\\t\\|\\\\c\\|\\\\d\\|\\\\b"
. "")
  ("[`'\"{}#]" . "")
  ("\\\\-" . "")
  ("\\\\?[ 	\n]+\\|~" . " "))

Cheers!