Subject: Re: bug#39682: 26.3; Help window for list-packages disabled

From: Tim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 07:52:39 -0900

On 2/19/20 5:01 PM, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> retitle 39682 26.3; Help window for list-packages disabled when dired+ is
>> Give it any title you like, of course.
>>
>> But I think this title may be misleading.
>> IIUC, the problem arises also without Dired+
>> - with el-get.el instead, for example.
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-02/msg00101.html
> As far as I understood that thread, it was el-get in addition to
> dired+.  This bug report doesn't mention el-get though.  And so far I
> haven't been able to reproduce problem anyway.
>
> Tim, could you post what M-: (tabulated-list-get-id) RET gives when this
> problem happens?  (That seems to be important part of
> package-menu-describe-package, which is what '?' calls.)
>
Sorry about that Drew. The conclusions from the thread were as you 
describe them. While following code from el-get I found that the error 
manifested at the point of a sexp that loaded packages with additional 
arguments. I.E. in

el-get-elpa.el  -> (require 'package nil t) or something like that.

I'm operating with a bare minimum of elisp knowledge AND I've been 
retired for 5 years. ... :)

Here is *Messages* and tabulated-list-get-id

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Package refresh done
No package specified
Quit
#s(package-desc ace-window (0 9 0) "Quickly switch windows." ((avy (0 2 
0))) single "gnu" nil ((:keywords "window" "location") (:authors ("Oleh 
Krehel" . "[email-masked]")) (:maintainer "Oleh Krehel" . 
"[email-masked]") (:url . "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-window")) 
nil)

HTH

-- 
Tim
tj49.com