Subject: bug#39682: 26.3; Help window for list-packages disabled

From: Tim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 13:23:32 -0900

Alternate email address is [email-masked]

;; -------------------------------------------------------------
Problem:
When the following occurs
1) dired+ is loaded
2) package is loaded
3) package is initialized
No *Help* window is opened and the error message: "No Package
Specified" is displayed in the minibuffer.

Test Case:
loading both dired+ and packages AND initializing packages seems to
cause this problem when an abbreviated init.el is used.
If packages is not initialized
OR
dired+ is not loaded
the list-packages *Help* window will be displayed for package info

Code for the test init.el follows:

;; code begins
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elisp") ;; edit for your path to dired+
(require 'package)
;; if the following is executed and dired+ is also loaded
;; the list-packages *Help* window will be disabled
(package-initialize)
;; if dired+ is loaded and (package-initialize) is also executed
;; the list-packages *Help* window will be disabled
(require 'dired+)
;; code ends

;; It appears to me that if either of the two cases occur
;; 1) dired+ is NOT loaded
;; 2) package is NOT initialized
;; Then the *Help* window WILL be displayed

;; -------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
of 2020-02-17 built on linus
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
scroll-up-command: End of buffer

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tim/.emacs.d/elpa/bm-20190807.1217/bm hides ~/.emacs.d/elisp/bm
~/.emacs.d/elisp/newcomment hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/newcomment

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair edmacro
kmacro easy-mmode derived advice dired+ image-dired image-mode
format-spec image-file help-fns+ wid-edit help-fns radix-tree help-mode
dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs cl finder-inf
dired-single-autoloads idomenu-autoloads iodine-theme-autoloads info
mark-tools-autoloads molokai-theme-autoloads show-marks-autoloads
fm-autoloads simpleclip-autoloads visible-mark-autoloads package
easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 174874 7573)
(symbols 48 25419 1)
(miscs 40 95 146)
(strings 32 45594 1867)
(string-bytes 1 1401206)
(vectors 16 18756)
(vector-slots 8 554228 11294)
(floats 8 67 93)
(intervals 56 265 0)
(buffers 992 13)
(heap 1024 23260 1613))

-- 
Tim Johnson
http://www.tj49.com

-- 
Tim
tj49.com