Subject: Re: bug#39670: Cannot mount NFS share as user or root

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 15:49:04 -0400

Hi!

> Nathan Dehnel <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Right, but it's more inconvenient than just clicking the share in thunar
>> and it mounting. Actually, I can't mount it without doing "sudo" first,
>> despite having the "user" fstab flag set. This actually might be a separate
>> issue, but I'm not sure.
>
> That's a good point.  We should try to make this simpler.  The mount.nfs
> binary needs to be setuid root to allow unprivileged users to mount NFS
> file systems.  Unfortunately, the mount command (which we already define
> as setuid-root) only looked for helpers under /run/current/profile/sbin.
> This is now fixed in commit def6e2ae4619587114383b3f8fd9f3cf8310b4b9
> (which had to be made on core-updates).
>

[...]

> I've sent a patch for review which proposes to add these setuid-root binaries for
> desktop users out-of-the-box on Guix System, which only adds about 4 MiB
> to the almost 3 GiB closure of the lightweight-desktop.tmpl system [0].
>
> As mentioned before, it depends on a change to util-linux that had to be
> made on the core-updates branch, so it won't be usable until the next
> core-updates merge.

This patch has now been merged with commit d40c9f6c85.

Closing!

Thank you,

Maxim