Subject: bug#39665: r-readr in a container has got no timezone data

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 13:44:29 +0100

Dear,

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 16:21, Wiktor Żelazny <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Related to [1]. Reproducing:
>
>    guix environment -C --pure --ad-hoc r r-readr
>    Rscript -e 'library(readr); default_locale()'

The output is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Error: Unknown TZ UTC
In addition: Warning message:
In OlsonNames() : no Olson database found
Execution halted
sh: rm: command not found
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> (actually, one needs also coreutils and grep to do that, but that’s
> beyond the point). I haven’t tried it (yet?), but maybe it suffices to
> add tzdata to r-readr inputs in the package definition to fix this
> issue.

Just adding tzdata to the propgapated-inputs list is not enough.

Well, I do not understand why the test suite pass. It should fail if
locale date is required... I am missing a point. Especially when
reading these 2 comments:

https://github.com/tidyverse/readr/issues/952#issuecomment-451244171
https://github.com/tidyverse/readr/issues/952#issuecomment-451255375

Let investigate more...

Thank you for the report.
All the best,
simon