Subject: Re: [bug#39655] [PATCH core-updates] doc: Add 'Scheme-only Bootstrap' node.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 00:05:12 +0200

Hello,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

I have some Texinfo syntax nitpicks, if you do not mind.

> +re-create them if needed (see @pxref{Preparing to Use the Bootstrap
> +Binaries}).

Please remove the "see", included in @pxref.

> +Building the GNU System from source is currently only possibly by adding
> +some historical GNU packages as intermediate steps@footnote{Packages
> +such as @code{gcc-2.95.3}, @code{binutils-2.14}, @code{glibc-2.2.5},
> +@code{gzip-1.2.4}, @code{tar-1.22}, and some others for details see

Suggestion: "and some others.  For details, see ..."

> +@file{gnu/packages/commencement.scm}}.  As Gash and Gash Utils mature,

Missing full stop at the end of the footnote.

> +and GNU packages become more bootstrappable again (e.g., new releases of
> +GNU Sed will also ship in @code{tar.gz} format), this set of added
> +packages can hopefully be reduced again.

@code{tar.gz} seems odd there.

Suggestion: @file{.tar.gz} if this is about the suggestion, or
``tar.gz'', or "as compressed tar files".

If none is satisfying, @samp{tar.gz} is still better than @code{tar.gz},
IMO.

> +If you are interested, join us on @code{#bootstrappable} on the
> Freenode

Arguably, I would use @samp, not @code.

> +IRC network or discuss on @code{bug-mes@@gnu.org} or

@code -> @email

> +@code{gash-devel@@nongnu.org}.

Ditto.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou