Subject: bug#39637: closed (mongo-tool no longer in Guix, so the tests no longer fail)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 16:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39637: mongo-tools test fail with Go 1.13

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39637: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39637
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: mongo-tool no longer in Guix, so the tests no longer fail
From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:49:47 -0400 (EDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

mongo-tools was removed from Guix in commit 
097cf21d1d34f4f66a403c3fb6e15b6709c4dd8a so I'm closing this issue.

Best,
Jack

Subject: mongo-tools test fail with Go 1.13
From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 16:28:04 -0500 (EST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

After the recent Go 1.13 update, the test for mongo-tools package 
(currently at vervsion 3.4.0) fails with:

```
flag provided but not defined: -test.testlogfile
Usage of /tmp/guix-build-mongo-tools-3.4.24.drv-0/go-build972699285/b001/mongofiles.test:
   -convey-json
         When true, emits results in JSON blocks. Default: 'false'
   -convey-silent
         When true, all output from GoConvey is suppressed.
   -convey-story
         When true, emits story output, otherwise emits dot output. When not provided, this flag mirros the value of the '-test.v' flag
   -test.types string
         Comma-separated list of the types of tests to be run (default "unit")
FAIL    github.com/mongodb/mongo-tools/mongofiles       0.002s
FAIL
command "go" "test" "-v" "github.com/mongodb/mongo-tools/mongofiles" failed with status 1
```

I believe that this is related to a change in Go's testing module with 
1.13: https://golang.org/doc/go1.13#testing

For more information, also see the Go bug report: 
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/31859

Note that mongo-tools provides a number of tools in different Go packages, 
and the mongofiles tool is the only one that has this error.

I have tried to adding a call to flag.Parse() in TestMain, which I added, 
as described in the documentation [0], but that did not resolve the 
problem. I'm not exactly sure why. The same fix worked for containerd [1].

[0] https://golang.org/pkg/testing/#hdr-Main
[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=13c8e747e86e39c0a8c6ec7da8c812d9bbcb682b

I wonder if the difference is that mongofiles does not use the flag 
package directly, but flag.Parse() is being called in the wrong place in 
one of its dependencies.

A note on versions: the problem persists in the latest release of 
mongo-tools in the 3.4 series, 3.4.24. I have not tried the other release 
series, 3.6, 4.0, and 4.2 because those require dependencies not yet 
packaged in Guix.

I have opened a bug report upstream: 
https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/TOOLS-2482

Thoughts or suggestions?

Best,
Jack