Subject: Re: bug#39609: 26.3; Packaging system: Package documentation in the *Help* buffer

From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 22:19:04 +0100

Hello Lars

thank you for looking into this!

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:
>
>> The Elisp manual (GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
>> Version 3.22.30) of 2019-12-14) states that a README file in the content
>> directory of a package will be used as a package description (C-h P).
>>
>> Please check
>>
>>   (info "(elisp) Multi-file Packages").
>>
>> Yet this isn't working!  By looking at other packages It seems that
>> there must be a file `PACKAGE-NAME-readme.txt' BELOW the content
>> directory to get a description in the package help.

> I tried `C-h P ada-mode RET' and got a *Help* buffer that included the
> README file for the ada-mode package, so I seem to be unable to
> reproduce this bug.

> Do you have a precise recipe to reproduce it, starting from "emacs -Q"?

I prepared a multi-file package for you.  Under Emacs 26.3 or earlier
you won't see any "long description" at all (unless you include a
PACKAGE-NAME-readme.txt in the package archive).  Under 27.1 it shows
now the ;;; Commentary: section of the PACKAGE-NAME.el file.  But NOT
the content of the accompanying README!

Please unpack the archive inform-1.4.tar into an empty DIRECTORY and
install the package interactively with package-install-file pointing to
the DIRECTORY.

Thank you for your help

       Dieter

-- 
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Zwingenberg, Germany