Subject: bug#39575: guix time-machine fails when a tarball was modified in-place

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 19:32:40 +0100

HI Jan,

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 14:24, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> wrote:

This command

> >>  $ guix download -o /tmp/harfbuzz-old.tar.bz2 \
> >>  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/file/harfbuzz-2.4.0.tar.bz2/sha256/1mpah6kwqid1kxsj4rwqsniivqbrx231j65v51yncx6s0dch0dch

now works.

However, this command

$ guix time-machine \
     --commit=56e95d54d209c2428f970d65d9b27ae4168449ad -- help

still fails for me with the message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[...]
building /gnu/store/gglbrs8j0iq8ygh55inwfvpwb5z2x254-guile-2.2.4.drv...
- 'check' phasebuilder for
`/gnu/store/gglbrs8j0iq8ygh55inwfvpwb5z2x254-guile-2.2.4.drv' failed
with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/gglbrs8j0iq8ygh55inwfvpwb5z2x254-guile-2.2.4.drv failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/gg/lbrs8j0iq8ygh55inwfvpwb5z2x254-guile-2.2.4.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/yqpxm07zm0mirrdvl2c4qvf8biyzg468-guix-56e95d54d.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/7z7p0m7abi246gzigw8as2q3w33k1n31-profile.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
guix time-machine: error: build of
`/gnu/store/7z7p0m7abi246gzigw8as2q3w33k1n31-profile.drv' failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The log /var/log/guix/drvs/gg/lbrs8j0iq8ygh55inwfvpwb5z2x254-guile-2.2.4.drv.bz2
is not meaningful for me... but I can report it here.

> that i'm trying now, and for now it looks fine (lots of stuff to build,
> i'll report success or failure when it's done).

Well, is it a success or a failure for you?

Cheers,
simon