Subject: bug#3957: closed (Re: bug#3957: split window for remote commands through eshell)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#3957: split window for remote commands through eshell

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3957: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3957
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3957: split window for remote commands through eshell
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Colin Williams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:22:23 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since Emacs 24.3, eshell-remote-command is not used
> anymore. eshell-external-command calls start-file-process. This should
> have fixed the issue, could you, please, check?

No response, so I'm closing this bug. Feel free to reopen if it doesn't
work as expected.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: split window for remote commands through eshell
From: Colin Williams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:03:46 -0400

Basically, any time a remote command gets executed through eshell, if
the frame is a single window it gets split into two windows.
Essentially, this is because tramp does its magic through
shell-command, which pops up a window if the output is too large to
fit in the minibuffer.

My first reaction was to wrap the relevant call to shell-command in a
save-window-excursion, but there seem to be some problems with that.
I'm currently trying to figure out how to prevent the root split, so
things like new frames are blocked as well.

It was suggested that I send the bug to this list so that a task would
be created that could be tracked.

Colin