Subject: bug#39553: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: bug#39553: 28.0.50; ada mode was removed

From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 03:27:32 -0800

Tom Tromey <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Stephen, you made the commit in question. Could you please take a look at
>>> Bug#39553 <https://debbugs.gnu.org/39553>? Thanks.
>
> Stefan> 6 months later.  Ping!

I'm sorry, but I never got the first emails about this bug. There seems
to be an issue with sending email from the bug server to my mail server.
It's possible a spam filter ate them.

> I'd like to point out that the replacement does not actually work.
>
> I installed it and it asks me to run a build script:
>
> File mode specification error: (error ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse not
> found on ‘exec-path’; run ’build.sh’ in the ELPA package.)

> This seems like a step backward compared to the old mode, but ok.

Since you are using ada-mode, the assumption is you are used to
compiling Ada code, so this should not be a burden.

> However:
>
>     murgatroyd. pwd
>     /home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/ada-mode-7.1.4
>     murgatroyd. sh build.sh 
>     directories.gpr:27:04: no value defined for "hardware_platform"
>     directories.gpr:27:41: undefined external reference "HARDWARE_PLATFORM"
>     gprclean: "ada_mode_wisi_parse.gpr" processing failed
>     directories.gpr:27:04: no value defined for "hardware_platform"
>     directories.gpr:27:41: undefined external reference "HARDWARE_PLATFORM"
>     gprbuild: "ada_mode_wisi_parse.gpr" processing failed
>
> That is, compilation fails.

This indicates a problem with your Ada compiler installation.
'directories.gpr' is not from ada-mode.

If you use the Community release of GNAT from
https://www.adacore.com/community, build.sh runs cleanly.

> I think I'll try to make my own package from the old sources.

They are all available at
https://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/ada-mode/, back to
ada-mode 5.1.9 in 2016.

> I'd like to ask, though, that the old package just be restored.
> I don't see any benefit to the current setup, only negatives.

Once you get the code compiled, there are many benefits to the latest
version; support for Ada 2012 (and 2020 in the next release), more
consistent indentation, integration with package.el.

I deleted the old ada-mode to force people to try the new one,
and also to avoid maintenance requests on the old code. I have no
objection to making the old code available in lisp/obsolete, so it is
clear it is no longer supported.

-- 
-- Stephe