Subject: bug#39553: Fwd: bug#39553: 28.0.50; ada mode was removed

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 13:42:22 -0800

[Forwarding this from Tom Tromey, as his original email to 
[email-masked]  bounced due to the fact that Bug#39553 was 
archived at the time. I have unarchived the bug.]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: bug#39553: 28.0.50; ada mode was removed
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:34:30 -0700
From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
CC: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, Stephen Leake 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Tom Tromey 
<[email-masked]>

>> Stephen, you made the commit in question. Could you please take a look at
>> Bug#39553 <https://debbugs.gnu.org/39553>? Thanks.

Stefan> 6 months later.  Ping!

I'd like to point out that the replacement does not actually work.

I installed it and it asks me to run a build script:

File mode specification error: (error ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse not found 
on ‘exec-path’; run ’build.sh’ in the ELPA package.)

This seems like a step backward compared to the old mode, but ok.
However:

     murgatroyd. pwd
     /home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/ada-mode-7.1.4
     murgatroyd. sh build.sh     directories.gpr:27:04: no value defined 
for "hardware_platform"
     directories.gpr:27:41: undefined external reference "HARDWARE_PLATFORM"
     gprclean: "ada_mode_wisi_parse.gpr" processing failed
     directories.gpr:27:04: no value defined for "hardware_platform"
     directories.gpr:27:41: undefined external reference "HARDWARE_PLATFORM"
     gprbuild: "ada_mode_wisi_parse.gpr" processing failed

That is, compilation fails.

I think I'll try to make my own package from the old sources.

I'd like to ask, though, that the old package just be restored.
I don't see any benefit to the current setup, only negatives.

thanks,
Tom