Subject: bug#39553: 28.0.50; ada mode was removed

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 16:13:10 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Doesn't package.el maintain some information about packages being
> installed?

AFAIK, it just uses whatever is in your `package-directory-list'.

> If so, how and where do you maintain that information for packages
> that come from the tarball?

Good question, I'd need to look into the details.

> IOW, packages installed by package.el go to a special directory and
> are handled specially by the startup code, something that is not true
> for a built-in package.  This needs rectifying in some way.  I don't
> know enough about package.el to give more specific and detailed
> advice, sorry.

I thought this was okay, since this is initialized in the early init
file?  But I might be overlooking something.

Maybe we should ask on emacs-devel what the hurdles are, because there
seems to be some possibly subtle problems here that I don't fully
understand.  It would be good to get this to work, if possible...