Subject: Re: bug#39553: 28.0.50; ada mode was removed

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 22:56:42 +0200

"Nicholas Savage" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Without speaking to the policy decision of removing ada-mode, I don't
> seem to have the same problem as you do in regards to
> auto-mode-alist. When I open an Ada source file it opens in
> fundamental mode with no error. Looking through the value of
> auto-mode-alist as well I don't see anything related to Ada, which is
> probably the expected behaviour. I've never dealt with Ada files
> before, so maybe there is a configuration problem on your end?

I think this was fixed recently:

commit b44a5d849e2d29bf91abe9015105cc71da458b1f
Author:     Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Fri Aug 7 04:43:18 2020 -0700

    * lisp/files.el (auto-mode-alist): delete ada-mode; now in GNU ELPA only

As for the policy of moving modes to ELPA -- I think we shouldn't do
that until we have the "include ELPA in the Emacs distribution" thing
that's been discussed for quite a while (but hasn't been implemented
yet).

As for ada-mode in particular, it's too late to move it back now, so I
don't think there's anything further to be done in this bug report, so
I'm closing it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no