Subject: Re: bug#39545: 26.3; C-S-a gets translated to C-a in message-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 21:13:38 +0200

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:36:02 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > 1. M-x message-mode
> > 2. Enter some text
> > 3. Press C-S-a
> >
> > The point moves to the beggining of the line, but doesn't select the
> > text along the way, as C-S-a usually does
> 
> C-S-a doesn't "usually" do that -- maybe it's a part of `cua-mode'

No, it's a normal Emacs "shift-selection" feature: any cursor motion
command (C-a in this case) typed with the Shift key held will select
the text it moves across.  You can see it in *scratch* in "emacs -Q",
even.

> and that's not getting enabled in `message-mode'?

No, I think it's because in message-mode C-a is bound to
message-beginning-of-line, and that doesn't have "^" in its
interactive spec, like beginning-of-line does.