Subject: Re: bug#39543: 28.0.50; Add completion to gnus-summary-save-parts from mime parts in the message

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:22:02 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I hadn't considered the case of multiple articles. Just for the sake of
>> argument: if we're expecting to save parts from some of the
>> process-marked articles, aren't we going to need to fetch them all,
>> anyway?
>
> We are, but unless you have backlog (etc) switched on, Gnus will then
> fetch everything twice.
>
>> Right, like I said this was more a proof of concept than a working
>> solution. If you think there's a practical improvement to be made in
>> here, I'd be happy to work on it.
>
> If there's only one article in the selection, then ensuring that it's
> fetched should be sufficient before you look at the MIME handles.

Bleagh, no time for coding... Anyway, I played with this, and the amount
of (duplicate) code that would be required to check if we're only
dealing with one article, and whether the article is fetched or not,
sort of makes it not quite worth the effort.

Unless we're interested in factoring out the tests in
`gnus-summary-select-article' into a new function like
'gnus-summary-current-article-fetched-p', which could be used in both
places. That might make it easier.

Eric