Subject: bug#39536: problem in emacs-gnuplot mode

From: Jean-Baptiste Note <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 22:29:44 +0100

Dear list,

Currently the emacs-gnuplot installs its el files and associated
autoload file within the

${GUIX_PROFILE}/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/gnuplot-0.7.0/ directory.

This makes it impossible to actually use gnuplot-mode unless you fiddle
with the EMACSLOADPATH to include the above directory.

I quite like the idea of installing the packages within
guix.d/${PACKAGE}; however this pattern does not seem to be actually
successfully used. I've looked at magit-forge, for instance, which seems
to (mistakenly) put .elc files within guix.d/forge-0.1.0-2.63cbf81/ --
but I doubt these are actually being used.

The guix.d/${PACKAGE} pattern also seems used on emacs-magit *input*
while compiling for accessing, for instance, input emacs-dash packages
(as far as I can tell these flags-settings are completely useless, by
the way, because the emacs-dash an other packages do not drop their
files in those directories).

I don't know scheme at all so I may be missing something. Please provide
guidance as to how to handle this; in the meantime i'm contributing the
following tentative patch which fixes my first problem with emacs-gnuplot.

I also stand ready to improve emacs-magit compilation flags if required.

Kind regards,
JB

>From 5f2db54f0e0e31dfcc9e6271dceb5aa38a799746 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jean-Baptiste Note <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 21:02:33 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] [emacs-gnuplot] Fix destination directory

---
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm | 3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
index faf2d7a1f1..9629ef9d98 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
@@ -9760,8 +9760,7 @@ and supports the use of a mouse.")
     (build-system gnu-build-system)
     (native-inputs `(("emacs" ,emacs-minimal)))
     (arguments
-     (let ((elisp-dir (string-append "/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d"
-                                     "/gnuplot-" version)))
+     (let ((elisp-dir "/share/emacs/site-lisp"))
        `(#:modules ((guix build gnu-build-system)
                     (guix build utils)
                     (guix build emacs-utils))
-- 
2.25.0