Subject: Re: bug#39505: Adding filesystem utilities based on file-systems

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:32:08 -0500

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:31:07PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> What is the use case?  Just having btrfs utilities to manage Btrfs file
>> systems, or is there some problems to avoid?  I know that for NFS you
>> must add nfs-utils so that the util-linux provided 'mount' is able to
>> mount NFS shares.
>
> It's just to manage the filesystems. For example, the equivalent of `df
> -h` requires btrfs-progs.

OK; so just as a convenience.

>> If the later is the use case, perhaps we could try to hard reference to
>> each file system utility in util-linux, instead of having it dispatch
>> some tool supposed to be in the PATH?  I'm not sure how difficult that
>> would be, and it'd for sure increase the size of util-linux, but perhaps
>> the pros outweighs the cons.
>
> Is there some integration between util-linux and btrfs-progs?

No, at least mounting Btrfs doesn't require a mount.btrfs helper like
NFS does.

Maxim