Subject: Re: bug#39483: 27.0.60; ispell ignores syntax/category tables word boundaries

From: "Paul W. Rankin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 19:28:40 +1000

On Sat, Feb 08 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> >> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <[email-masked]>
>> >> Attempts at workarounds:
>> >>
>> >> I've tried altering slot 3 of the corresponding `ispell-dictionary-base-alist'
>> >> entries from "[']" to "['’]" to no avail.
>> >
>> > That's the right direction, but you didn't follow it far enough.
>> > First, ispell-dictionary-base-alist is the default value, and is used
>> > to produce ispell-dictionary-alist, which is one you should change
>> > (alternatively, customize ispell-local-dictionary-alist).
>>
>> Thanks, that got it.
>
> I'd be interested to see your solution in full, for the record.

I went down the wrong path with syntax tables when I saw M-f/M-b was
stepping through the word like doesn|’|t| so I figured it was about word
boundaries. Searching through the manual I couldn't find anything in
"(emacs) Quotation Marks" or "(emacs) Spelling" but found the references
to syntax tables regarding word boundaries in "(elisp) Word Motion".

As it turns out it was just a case of customising
ispell-local-dictionary-alist and adding both a default and "en_US"
entry with OTHERCHARS regexp as "['’]" pretty much exactly as the
docstring on ispell-dictionary-alist says.