Subject: bug#39468: Openbox - Calculator does not load

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 16:23:05 -0500

Le 6 février 2020 16:12:38 GMT-05:00, "Scott C. MacCallum" <[email-masked]> a écrit :

Please make sure to keep debbugs in CC :)

>> To be fair, if you installed only the openbox environment, none of
>>the items in the menu would work
>
>I didn't install just an Openbox environment, I installed all of the
>available desktop environments.

I understand, and the other environments brought other packages with them, which made some of the menu items work.

>
>>However, this is not a guix-specific bug, and as an openbox user, I
>>don't expect to have all of these items available.
>
>Perhaps it's not an Guix-specific bug but that's certainly not the case
>with other distros. It was my understanding that Guix wanted to reach
>the widest audience possible, including those not technically inclined.

OK, though I certainly got locked out of my initial installation on arch linux because I forgot to add xterm for instance, and I'm sure all of these items don't work ootb on debian or other distros.

Maybe having openbox as an initial choice in the installer is a bad idea, or the installer could add these packages. We could also change the openbox package to restrict the quantity of default menu entries to some minimum.

I'd like to close your other bugs (39469 to 39474) as I think they all have the same root cause. I'll rename this one Do you agree?

>
>> I don't really see how to improve the situation, do you have a
>>suggestion?
>
>I actually don't use Openbox as my default desktop environment. I was
>thinking about others.
>
>Scott
>scmguru - irc.freenode.net
>
>Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>
>‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>On Thursday, February 6, 2020 4:03 PM, Julien Lepiller
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Le 6 février 2020 15:39:36 GMT-05:00, "Scott C. MacCallum via Bug
>reports for GNU Guix" [email-masked] a écrit :
>>
>> > After the installation of all the available desktop environments,
>in
>> > Openbox from the Accessories menu Calculator does not load.
>> > Scott
>> > scmguru - irc.freenode.net
>> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>>
>> To be fair, if you installed only the openbox environment, none of
>the items in the menu would work. However, this is not a guix-specific
>bug, and as an openbox user, I don't expect to have all of these items
>available. The menu is static and the same in all distros. You're
>supposed to configure it yourself, which makes it not very user
>friendly, but that's how it works.
>>
>> I don't really see how to improve the situation, do you have a
>suggestion?