Subject: Re: bug#39452: [PATCH] vc-git-state fails for filenames with wildcards

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 01:47:12 +0300

On 27.08.2021 20:10, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> -  (vc-git-command nil 0 (vc-git--literal-pathspecs (list old new)) "mv" "-f" "--"))
>>> +  (vc-git-command nil 0 (list old new) "mv" "-f" "--"))
>>
>> Looks like the proper fix, thanks. Feel free to push it right away, if
>> you like.
> 
> Pushed now.

Thank you.

> I wonder how many git commands still remain broken
> and will go unnoticed to the release?  Such as
> vc-git-delete-file and vc-git-mark-resolved, etc.

Those two -- probably not. But you're welcome to try and report any 
problems.

I'll try to fix and regressions now, but if people think we should go 
back to a different approach (for example, go back to the other 
solution, but use it in an opt-in fashion by passing --literal-pathspecs 
from every applicable command), we can do so too.

>> Would be great to add some test, though. vc-tests.el currently doesn't
>> exercise vc-rename-file at all.
> 
> Indeed, covering all git commands will avoid the danger of breaking
> some commands.

Volunteers welcome.