Subject: Re: bug#39452: [PATCH] vc-git-state fails for filenames with wildcards

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:42:41 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 12.05.2021 19:04, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Wolfgang's patch is larger, but doesn't have these drawbacks (if I
>> understand things correctly) -- so wouldn't it make sense to apply
>> Wolfgang's patch here?
>
> It's a pretty big fix for a straightforward (if fundamental) problem.
>
> The existence of the FAQ entry personally just tells me that the other
> approach has been proven in the field (by Magit), and if a FAQ entry
> is enough, the side-effects are probably not that common or
> serious. Because users, in general, don't read documentation.
>
> But other opinions welcome.

Nobody had any opinions, and the "if it's good enough for Magit"
argument is a good one.  So I went ahead and applied Dmitry's patch to
Emacs 28, and we'll see whether there's any push back on that...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no