Subject: Re: bug#39452: [PATCH] vc-git-state fails for filenames with wildcards

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:44:35 +0200

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:07:01 +0200 Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I just discovered that some code I have that uses vc-print-log-internal
>> broke after the literal-pathspecs change; specifically, my code passes a
>> directory name beginning with "~/" to vc-print-log-internal, and this
>> had worked fine till that change, which broke it, and I found I have to
>> wrap the directory name in expand-file-name to make the code work again.
>> Is this expected fallout from that change or was I perhaps misusing
>> vc-print-log-internal and was just lucky that it had worked before?
>
> I think it's reasonable to expect parameters to `vc-print-log-internal'
> to have been expanded first, but that should be documented, at least.

I'm not sure it needs to be documented, it is internal, after all.  I'm
using it because I want a different UI than what vc-print-log provides.
The latter passes the file name to vc-print-log-internal already
expanded; I should have checked that when I decided to use the internal
function.  But I don't see at first glance why the unexpanded file name
in the latter worked prior to the literal-pathspecs change but not
afterwards.

Steve Berman