Subject: bug#39448: 26.1; ERC connect wierdness

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 23:37:43 -0600

*** E-Mail body has been placed on clipboard, please paste it here! ***

Greetings!  I'm reporting at the request of Bandali although I don't
have a great deal of information, I'm afraid.  I suspect a coorilation
to a major update of MELPA/ELPA packages I did on Sunday - I haven't
successfully connected to ERC since.  That said, problem exists also
under -Q

[Start Emacs from Git Bash prompt; same under cmd.exe and this is easier)

/d/emax64/bin/runemacs.exe -Q --eval '(setq erc-debug-irc-protocol
t)(raise-frame)'

;; the raise frame was an error but I didn't worry about it
;; making my report.  Hope that doesn't cause confusion.

[Once Emacs is up, I pulled and evaled two bits of code from my startup
sequence one at a time in the order shown:]

;; from emacswiki
(defmacro asf-erc-bouncer-connect (command server port nick ssl pass)
   "Create interactive command `COMMAND'.
Connect to IRC `SERVER` on `PORT`as `NICK` with `SSL` or `PASS`.
The command uses interactive mode if passed an argument."
   (fset command
         `(lambda (arg)
           (interactive "p")
  (if (not (= 1 arg))
      (call-interactively 'erc)
    (let ((erc-connect-function ',(if ssl
      'erc-open-ssl-stream
    'open-network-stream)))
        (erc :server ,server :port ,port :nick ,nick :password ,pass))))))

(asf-erc-bouncer-connect erc-fn
                         "irc.freenode.net"
                         6667
                         "mplsCorwin" nil
                         "q[corwin]:exactlythatsmart")

[Then, finally:]

M-x erc-fn RET

Which results in my making various notes shown here in fairly haphazard
form.  Sorry.

1. ERC appears to start, ERC: CLOSED shown in the mode-line, "Connecting
[...]" in the minibuffer.

2. It appears to just sit there

3. I join freenode.net from a web-client while playing with this last
night and saw myself join and then connection timeout three times in
fairly rapid succession but this didn't happen while testing under -Q
AFICT.  There is *no* indication that any server activity is occuring,
e.g. no updates to the irc.freenode.net:6667 and no process buffers I
can find.

4. Today preping this report I got a slightly different output at the
end:

  *** ERC terminated: failed with code 10060

5. After confirming this problem didn't go away over night (also under
-Q but before preping this bug report, which I did under a fresh
session), I connected to freenode and chatted with bandali using rcirc
which had no connection difficulties I noticed.

6. I think I'm starting to get somewhere with lisp but my foundational
Emacs knowledge is weak.  Moreover, I'm running under Windows 10 and
don't (yet) know how to compile from sources locally.  That said let me
know any other information, tests, etc which would be helpful and I'll
do my best (not withstanding $life & whatnot) to respond promply.

7. My next step, again at Bandali's advice, is to play with tls.
Obviously, if that changes things I'll report back in.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-13 built on TPW550S
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18363
Recent messages:
Connecting to irc.freenode.net:6667...
Logging in as `mplsCorwin'...
<M-insert> is undefined
Connecting to irc.freenode.net:6667...
Logging in as `mplsCorwin'...
Connecting to irc.freenode.net:6667...
Logging in as `mplsCorwin'...
<left-fringe> <drag-mouse-1> is undefined
Mark set
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --without-compress-install --without-dbus --with-modules
 'CFLAGS= -O2 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch erc-list erc-menu
easymenu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
password-cache thingatpt pp elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 131403 9951)
 (symbols 56 23563 1)
 (miscs 48 64 161)
 (strings 32 39139 913)
 (string-bytes 1 1036867)
 (vectors 16 18196)
 (vector-slots 8 526999 16844)
 (floats 8 62 195)
 (intervals 56 665 14)
 (buffers 992 16))