Subject: Re: bug#39448: 26.1; ERC connect wierdness

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:34:15 +0100

Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:

> Once I completely disabled the Comcast security feature, whatever it's called,
> ERC connects without difficulty.  
>
> I think this may still be a valid bug, however, as I was able to
> connect to Freenode (used for testing in all cases) from rcirc even
> while Comcast's anti-productivity software was active.  I'm curious
> how the two different IRC implementations handle/depend on IDENT.
> I'll dig into this if I can and report with such clues or questions as
> I find.

Whatever "security" software they were using could be using deep packet
inspection; i.e., blocking the connection based on the protocol contents
of the packets.  It does sound rather unlikely that anybody would bother
to do that for IRC, but who knows these days...

Did you find any further clues?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no