Subject: Re: GNU Emacs and Digital Unix (OSF1) 5.1

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:54:24 -0400

> New Emacs is soon to be released and decided to test latest prebuild
> release in environment I'm using (with many others)... But...
> Configure said, my system is no longer supported... oh well. Now, I
> have a request. Can you provide me some patch for configure to enable
> compiling Emacs 23 to OSF/1 5.1? Of course, we can stick with Emacs
> 22.3 (which compiled to OSF/1 easily).
>
> In that case, compilation may require something OSF/1 doesn't have,
> I'll have to forget this and keep using older version until our last
> DEC is long gone...

Sorry about that, we weren't aware that there were any remaining OSF/1
users.

Try the following: first patch configure with the attached patch.  Then,
take the file src/s/osf1.h from Emacs 22.3 (I can send it to you by
attachment if you can't find it) and put it in the src/s/ directory.

Then try to build.  If that works, we can put OSF/1 support back in for
Emacs 23.2.

*** emacs/configure.~1.322.2.2.~	2009-07-08 19:43:34.000000000 -0400
--- emacs/configure	2009-07-28 11:49:25.000000000 -0400
***************
*** 2447,2452 ****
--- 2447,2469 ----
      esac
    ;;
  
+   ## Alpha (DEC) machines.
+   alpha*-dec-osf* )
+     machine=alpha opsys=osf1
+     # This is needed to find X11R6.1 libraries for certain tests.
+     NON_GCC_LINK_TEST_OPTIONS=-Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
+     GCC_LINK_TEST_OPTIONS=-Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
+     # NON_GNU_CPP is necessary on 5.0 to avoid mangling src/Makefile
+     # due to non-traditional preprocessing with the current compiler
+     # defaults.  OSF 4 can also have that compiler version, and there
+     # seems always to have been a usable /usr/bin/cpp.
+     NON_GNU_CPP=/usr/bin/cpp
+     case "${canonical}" in
+     alpha*-dec-osf[5-9]*)
+       opsys=osf5-0 ;;
+     esac
+   ;;
+ 
    ## OpenBSD ports
    *-*-openbsd* )
      opsys=openbsd

Diff finished.  Tue Jul 28 11:51:21 2009