Subject: bug#39413: 26.2; Emacs gets hung

From: "ISHIKAWA,chiaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:04:40 +0900

On 2021/10/18 18:00, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This was a month ago -- have you made any further progress?  I think it
>> really sounds like the OS (the client or the host) isn't giving any
>> resources to Emacs (i.e., the OS is swapping or something like that), so
>> that is isn't an Emacs issue at all.
> This was a month ago and there was no response, so I'm assuming that
> this analysis is correct, and I'm closing this bug report.  If there's
> anything more to do here, please respond to the debbugs address and
> we'll reopen.
>
Thanks.

I have observed a few hungs ( a minute or two) and still could not 
figure out where the problem is.
I still have a feeling that the memory allocator in the last few years 
may not be great for really large amount of short string allocations (to 
accommodate the output from thunderbird compilation/build process within 
eshell buffer, and then releasing them altogether at once (via 
erase-buffer to clear the shell interaction in the buffer, or deleting 
the buffer itself.). This began happening a few years ago in one version 
of Emacs.

But for now, I can't make reasonable progress. (All I see while I insert 
a debug break point is call to gc sweep mark process and that may not 
really reflect the deep/detailed cause. Once I find a smoking gun, I 
will reopen it.
(It could be even a virtualbox issue on AMD CPU if I stretch my 
imagination although we would have heard something about the large 
memory process on AMD CPU by now.)

Thank you again for your attention on this matter.

Chiaki