Subject: Re: bug#39408: Breakpoints don't work with M-x gdb under TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 16:08:35 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Michael, there's tramp-related patch for gdb-mi/gud in this bug report
> that I think looks reasonable, if I'm reading it correctly.  Do you have
> any opinions on this?

Somehow, I've missed that bug report :-(

I have no objection to apply the patch, but wouldn't it be better to
understand, why bindat-get-field returns file names like
/ssh:vagrant@debug:/vagrant/"/vagrant/hello.c" ? Just patching the
obscure result doesn't look error prone to me.

Furthermore,

-  (setq f (concat (or (file-remote-p default-directory) "") f))
+  (unless (file-remote-p f)
+    (setq f (concat (or (file-remote-p default-directory) "") f)))

could be simplified to

   (setq f (concat (file-remote-p default-directory) f))

Best regards, Michael.