Subject: bug#39400: Go retains a reference to GCC

From: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 13:17:15 -0700

Hello,

A quick addendum...

Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]> writes:

> This means that even if the user provides a different CC, the
> gcc-7.5.0-lib dir will also be in the runpath. I do not know if, or how
> much, this would conflict with other gcc-lib runpaths.
>

I have just seen the consequences of this: the binary is unable to load
symbols from the newer library. More info at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36823>.

> I have experimented with a couple ways of removing the gcc-7.5.0 reference:
>
> 1. Simply set CC=gcc. This works to remove gcc-7.5.0 from references,
> but we still get a gcc-7.5.0-lib runpath. We can't remove this runpath
> completely, as anything using cgo-enabled parts of the standard library
> require it, and Go does not save the library location anywhere.
>

--
Sarah