Subject: Re: bug#39399: tramp depends on unstable details of shell command line processing

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:13:47 +0100

Version: 27.2

John F Carr <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi John,

>> I've digged further. Likely, the problem can be avoided if we disable
>> command line editing of the shell. Tramp does it already if the remote
>> shell is zsh; I've added a similar parameter to the bash invocation. For
>> other shells, like ksh, I haven't found a simple parameter.
>>
>> For that class of shells, I've added code which installs a temporary
>> ~/.editrc file, containing the line 'edit off'.
>>
>> Could you please migrate to Tramp 2.4.3.1 from GNU ELPA? On top of this,
>> install the appended patch.
>>
>> And pls report, whether it works for you.
>
> Your change applied to tramp 2.4.3 from ELPA works.

Thanks for the feedback. Since I have no *BSD machine, I couldn't test
the patch; it was rather a shot into the dark.

I've pushed the patch, slightly modified, to the Emacs and Tramp
repositories. It won't appear with Emacs 27.1, because it is too late to
commit such serious changes so close to its release; but I will merge it
into the emacs-27 codebase after Emacs 27.1 has been released.

The next GNU ELPA Tramp release, 2.4.3.2, will carry this patch. It will
appear in a couple of weeks.

Best regards, Michael.