Subject: bug#39389: closed (Re: bug#39389: 27.0.60; A couple of bugs messing with minibuffer completion of /sudo::)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39389: 27.0.60; A couple of bugs messing with minibuffer completion of /sudo::

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39389: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39389
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39389: 27.0.60; A couple of bugs messing with minibuffer completion of /sudo::
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 20:30:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> What's left is your first problem: when setting
> `ido-enable-tramp-completion' to nil, ido does not handle remote file
> names as you expect. I've explained already, that I don't believe that
> this is a bug. So I'd like to close this bug report.
>
> Why do you need to set `ido-enable-tramp-completion' to nil?

Well, no response. I'm closing the bug.

If you think this needs further attention, I'm happy to hear.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 27.0.60; A couple of bugs messing with minibuffer completion of /sudo::
From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 14:50:58 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug 1:

If `ido-enable-tramp-completion` is set to `nil`, it's impossible to
open a file as root with `ido-find-file`. Here are the reproduction steps:

1. In Terminal, $ /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

2. M-x ido-mode

3. M-x set-variable ido-enable-tramp-completion RET nil RET

4. C-x C-f //sudo:

5. Minibuffer prompt will show `File file: /sudo:/ [No match]` and
there's no way to remove the auto completed / in the end.

Bug 2:

1. $ echo 'PATH=".:$PATH"' > .bash_profile

2. $ echo '(require
'exec-path-from-shell)(exec-path-from-shell-initialize)' > .emacs

3. Launch /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs in GUI

4. C-x C-f /sudo:: RET

5. Cursor now stops blinking but no password prompt is shown.

6. If you TAB complete after /sudo: but before the final :, prompt will
not be stuck

This bug can only be reproduced if steps 1-3 are followed exactly. The
following examples can't reproduce this problem:

* $ /Application/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l tramp -l
/path/to/exec-path-from-shell --eval '(exec-path-from-shell-initialize)'
/sudo::

* $ echo '(set exec-path (cons "." exec-path))' > .emacs;
/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

There's some very weird interactions with how Emacs starts up, what
happens to Emacs after `call-process` on SHELL  and setting `exec-path`,
and tab completion of /sudo:: in the minibuffer. This appears to have
been the case since relatively early versions of Emacs 27.

Bug 2.1:

If `auth-sources` is set to `'("~/.authinfo.gpg")` and `~/.authinfo.gpg`
has saved the credentials of localhost or the machine's host name, bug 2
does not happened.

Bug 3:

1. Same as Bug 2

2. $ echo '(require
'exec-path-from-shell)(exec-path-from-shell-initialize)(require 'crux)'
> .emacs

3. Same as Bug 2

4. Same as Bug 2

5. M-x crux-sudo-edit

6. Minibuffer now stuck at "Tramp: Sending Password"

Possibly due to similar reasons as Bug 2.



In GNU Emacs 27.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G2022))
 of 2020-02-02 built on MobileCat.local
Repository revision: f27187f963e9e36435b508e29256e048799e0ff2
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.6

Recent messages:

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for /sudo:root@localhost:/Users/wyuenho/.emacs...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/sudo:root@localhost:/Users/wyuenho/.emacs’...done

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for /sudo:root@localhost:/Users/wyuenho/Documents/workspace/dotfiles/.emacs...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/sudo:root@localhost:/Users/wyuenho/.emacs’...done
Warning: symbolic link to Git-controlled source file
You can run the command ‘crux-sudo-edit’ with C-c C-u
Warning: symbolic link to Git-controlled source file
A-b is undefined [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gpm --with-gnutls
 --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 --with-json --without-harfbuzz --with-ns --with-lcms2
 --with-imagemagick --with-rsvg 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -arch
 x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  projectile-rails-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-local-mode: t
  company-box-mode: t
  rainbow-mode: t
  elisp-def-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  form-feed-mode: t
  purpose-mode: t
  imenu-list-minor-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  company-flx-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  crm-custom-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  rxt-global-mode: t
  rxt-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  global-origami-mode: t
  origami-mode: t
  global-move-dup-mode: t
  move-dup-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  beginend-global-mode: t
  beginend-prog-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  auto-compile-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  amx-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20190710.1319/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr crux emacsbug sendmail two-column conf-mode
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch epa-file
blacken py-autopep8 python-docstring py-isort smartparens-python python
view flycheck-pos-tip add-node-modules-path dired-hide-dotfiles vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs diff-hl-dired
dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils all-the-icons-dired lsp-ui
lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek
lsp-ui-sideline company-shell sh-script executable projectile-rails rake
inflections inf-ruby smartparens-ruby ruby-mode smie projectile vc-git
company-quickhelp pos-tip company-box company-box-doc company-box-icons
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-yasnippet company-capf company-emoji
company-emoji-list company-files company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
rainbow-mode xterm-color elisp-def ert pp debug backtrace
display-line-numbers cap-words superword subword smartparens-config
smartparens-org smartparens-markdown smartparens-text form-feed
solarized-dark-theme solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons
spaceline-config spaceline-segments spaceline powerline
powerline-separators powerline-themes hideshow window-purpose-x shut-up
window-purpose window-purpose-fixes window-purpose-prefix-overload
window-purpose-switch window-purpose-layout window-purpose-core
window-purpose-configuration eieio-compat window-purpose-utils
imenu-list windmove magit-lfs magit-todos hl-todo org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs forge-list forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic bug-reference
forge-post forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite
emacsql emacsql-compiler url-http url-auth url-gw diff-hl-flydiff
dumb-jump popup etags fileloop generator rg rg-info-hack rg-menu
rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep yard-mode poly-markdown polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
flycheck-objc-clang cl-lib-highlight company-lsp company-flx dap-mode
dap-overlays lsp-clients lsp-eslint lsp-verilog lsp-json url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
mailcap lsp-csharp gnutls lsp-pwsh lsp-terraform lsp-yaml lsp-vhdl
lsp-haxe lsp-erlang lsp-fsharp lsp-metals lsp-elm lsp-dart lsp-clojure
lsp-go lsp-xml lsp-css lsp-intelephense lsp-vetur lsp-html
lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-pyls lsp lsp-mode xref url-util spinner
network-stream nsm markdown-mode color noutline outline lv inline ht f
em-glob esh-util dash-functional bindat flymake-proc flymake compile
warnings project yasnippet-snippets yasnippet crm-custom
pager-default-keybindings pager browse-kill-ring delight
use-package-bind-key use-package-delight osx-trash bind-key
exec-path-from-shell quelpa-use-package use-package-core quelpa lisp-mnt
help-fns radix-tree tramp-sh docker-tramp tramp-cache tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp winner which-key smooth-scrolling smartparens
thingatpt paren savehist saveplace pcre2el rxt re-builder recentf
tree-widget ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit wid-edit minibuf-eldef
help-at-pt whitespace-cleanup-mode whitespace origami origami-parsers cl
move-dup magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm
log-edit message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor cl-extra
shell pcomplete comint ring server hl-line flycheck ansi-color find-func
help-mode dash diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode
flx-ido flx ido editorconfig desktop frameset delsel company-statistics
company pcase beginend auto-compile packed async-bytecomp advice async
amx s cus-start cus-load finder-inf edmacro kmacro rx info package
easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 854521 343188)
 (symbols 48 45933 145)
 (strings 32 184516 65158)
 (string-bytes 1 5654575)
 (vectors 16 110270)
 (vector-slots 8 2263474 423548)
 (floats 8 1363 843)
 (intervals 56 5261 3325)
 (buffers 1000 54))