Subject: Re: bug#39389: 27.0.60; A couple of bugs messing with minibuffer completion of /sudo::

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 19:36:47 +0100

Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> For bug 2 and 3, the author said `file-remote-p` might have triggered
> some weird code paths that triggered this bug. I don't know how to
> edebug further as `redisplay_internal` keeps calling it. Do you know
> how to debug it?
>
> https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell/issues/95#issuecomment-582629738

I doubt that file-remote-p is guilty. This function is designed to *not*
work on the remote side, but check the syntax of a file name only.

However, I've downloaded the package exec-path-from-shell from
MELPA. Reading the code, I have serious doubst it will cooperate with
Tramp. It's idea is to analyze the *local* shell, and apply actions over
the shell. But the *local* shell doesn't matter for remote files, so it
is completely useless. I'd recommend NOT to use exec-path-from-shell for
remote files.

If you want to know mor details what happens with Tramp, you might
analyze the function calls. Evaluate

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require 'trace)
(dolist (elt (all-completions "tramp-" obarray 'functionp))
  (trace-function-background (intern elt)))
(untrace-function 'tramp-read-passwd)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Then run your test. The buffer *trace-output* contains the output from
the function call traces. You might show it here, maybe I can find
something more about the problem.

Best regards, Michael.