Subject: bug#39379: 27.0.60; Fix for #38457 broke ido-vertical-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 20:24:40 +0200

On 12.02.2020 20:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> OK, but this is an old problem, because I see the same in Emacs 26.3.
> It wasn't caused by the new implementation of set-minibuffer-message.

True.

> Well, we hardly ever fix future bugs.  And limiting mini-windows to
> such small height is asking for trouble.

I don't know the reason why the user who reported this problem did it, 
but they *did* find a need to set ido-max-window-height to 1, apparently 
(which has the same effect).

TBH, of course, I'm more worried about the "future bug" regarding 
icomplete-vertical-mode. But maybe we'll switch to child frames 
exclusively for this purpose by them.

> But okay, I'm fine with leaving this bug open, and will try to fix the
> problem on master.  I do want to install the patch below, because it
> fixes a problem directly caused by set-minibuffer-message, so we
> should fix this in Emacs 27.  Any objections?

None from me. If that's the simplest fix we can do for the release, 
please go ahead.