Subject: Re: bug#39359: [patch] TUTORIAL: Be accurate about "buffer" vs "file"; capitalize Dired. Four other trivial TUTORIAL patches

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 13:20:46 -0300

Em [2020-04-24 sex 12:10:19+0200], Stefan Kangas escreveu:

> Could you please send a new patch including these changes?  I had a
> look at your first message but found it hard to ascertain what it is
> exactly that you're proposing.

I did not understand what is difficult to understand about my first
message.  It has five patches, each surrounded by the output of
~message-mark-inserted-region~ and preceded by a tentative commit
message.  I also did not understand what you asked above.  Maybe my
English comprehension has failed me (I am Brazilian).

Anyway, here is the revised first patch, preceded by a tentative commit
message -- is this what you asked for?:

TUTORIAL: "buffer" vs "file" consistency; capitalize Dired

- For consistency with C-x C-f ("Find file") and C-x C-s ("Save file"),
  refer to C-x s as "Save some files".
- Capitalize "Dired".
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
index eb3acde9c0..4465e32e81 100644
--- a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
+++ b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
@@ -612,11 +612,11 @@ but it also means that you need a convenient way to save the first
 file's buffer.  Having to switch back to that buffer, in order to save
 it with C-x C-s, would be a nuisance.  So we have
 
-	C-x s     Save some buffers
+	C-x s     Save some files
 
-C-x s asks you about each buffer which contains changes that you have
-not saved.  It asks you, for each such buffer, whether to save the
-buffer.
+C-x s asks you about each file-visiting buffer which contains changes
+that you have not saved.  It asks you, for each such buffer, whether
+to save the buffer.
 
 >> Insert a line of text, then type C-x s.
    It should ask you whether to save the buffer named TUTORIAL.
@@ -661,7 +661,7 @@ There are many C-x commands.  Here is a list of the ones you have learned:
 
 	C-x C-f		Find file
 	C-x C-s		Save file
-	C-x s		Save some buffers
+	C-x s		Save some files
 	C-x C-b		List buffers
 	C-x b		Switch buffer
 	C-x C-c		Quit Emacs
@@ -1081,7 +1081,7 @@ corresponding command names (such as C-x C-f beside find-file).
 You can learn more about Emacs by reading its manual, either as a
 printed book, or inside Emacs (use the Help menu or type C-h r).
 Two features that you may like especially are completion, which saves
-typing, and dired, which simplifies file handling.
+typing, and Dired, which simplifies file handling.
 
 Completion is a way to avoid unnecessary typing.  For instance, if you
 want to switch to the *Messages* buffer, you can type C-x b *M<Tab>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards,
  Jorge

-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- <https://www.defectivebydesign.org/>
- <https://www.gnu.org/>