Subject: bug#39351: One failed self test on CentOS 5

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:25:11 -0700

close 39351
stop

Hello,

Thanks for the report.

On 2020-01-29 6:21 p.m., Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I'm working on CentOS 5, x86_64. I'm building Sed 4.8 from the release
> tarball. I'm catching one self-test failure:

CentOS 5 was end-of-life'd in 2017 - so fixing bugs for it isn't
a high priority ( 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS#End-of-support_schedule ).

However,

>      $ cat sed-4.8/gnulib-tests/test-suite.log
[...]
>      FAIL: test-strverscmp
>      =====================
>      test-strverscmp.c:52: assertion 'strverscmp (a, c) < 0' failed
>      FAIL test-strverscmp (exit status: 134)

This is a test failure in gnulib - a component library used by sed.

sed uses the strverscmp() function only in one rarely used GNU extension
(the "v" command) and it is extremely unlikely to affect any real-world
scenarios of using sed.

GNU sed itself did not fail any tests on your system, and it is OK to
use it.

As such, I'm closing this bug report, but discussion can continue
by replying to this thread.

regards,
  - assaf