Subject: Re: bug#39340: 26.3; "Noto Emoji" font not displayed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 20:22:05 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:12:07 +0900
> 
> I installed Noto fonts including "Noto Emoji"(NotoEmoji-Regular.ttf).
> Almost all glyphs defined in the font are not displayed.
> 
> Evaluating the following form, only "©® ⃣〰〽㊗㊙" can be displayed.
>   (set-fontset-font t '(#x80 . #x1FFFF) "Noto Emoji")
> 
> Other characters listed below are displayed with other fonts or boxed
> hex numbers.

Please tell more details, in particular what do you mean by "can be
displayed", and also which of the characters you show are displayed
with other fonts and which with boxes with hex codepoints.

In general, Emacs will always use the default font (which on Windows
is Courier New) for characters that font can display, and fall back to
fontset-default (which is what you customized above) only for
characters the default font cannot display.  In addition, for any
character that belongs to the punctuation and symbols blocks, Emacs
will disregard the fontsets and use the default face's font unless
use-default-font-for-symbols is nil.  I think these two factors
explain what you see, but I cannot say for sure given the lack of
details.

> Putting 'face property with :family "Noto Emoji" attribute is not
> effective.

Don't use :family, use :font.  The support for :family on Windows is
quite poor.

> non-displayable characters

What does "non-displayable" mean in this context?