Subject: Re: bug#39310: MariaDB reproducibility issue

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 17:12:22 +0100

Hi!

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Josh <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Guix,                                                                                 
>>                                                                                          
>> I ran into this issue when building mariadb 10.1.38. I've attached the                   
>> last 300 lines of the log. Thanks
>
> I can reproduce this failure by checking out Guix 1.0.1 in a "time 
> machine" and trying to build MariaDB.  The problem is that the failing test
> expects the current time to be earlier than 2020-01-21 15:32:22.

I was trying to run:

  guix time-machine --commit=0791437 -- build mariadb

where commit 0791437f972caa7e48de91ad5cb150a614f617c2 is from Jan. 2019,
and stumbled upon the test failure that Josh reported.

Following your advice on IRC, Marius, I built that derivation,
/gnu/store/p2d7i5258vi0rd9ydbpr9c1vb3sxcz6h-mariadb-10.1.37.drv, on a
machine whose clocked I had switched back to 2018… and it worked!

(I used one of the berlin build machines, so now there are substitutes
for this particular derivation.)

Thanks!

Ludo’.