Subject: bug#3931: 23.0.96; doc of select-frame-set-input-focus and select-frame

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:44:13 -0700

Doc string of `select-frame':
 
"If you are using a window system, the previously selected frame may
be restored as the selected frame after return to the command loop..."
 
That's grammatically incorrect - "return" should presumably be
"returning" (depending on what is intended by the sentence).
 
In any case, this paragraph of the description is not very clear.

Doc string of `select-frame-set-input-focus':
 
"If `mouse-autoselect-window' is non-nil, also move mouse cursor to
FRAME's selected window.  Otherwise, if `focus-follows-mouse' is
non-nil, move mouse cursor to FRAME."
 
"Mouse cursor" is incorrect; "pointer" is correct (or "mouse pointer",
but, strictly speaking, "mouse" is redundant for the pointer).
 
Why "Otherwise"? I'm guessing that what is really meant is this:
 
* If either `mouse-autoselect-window' or `focus-follows-mouse' is
  non-nil, then move the mouse pointer to....
* Otherwise, do not move the mouse pointer.

Similar problems exist for the description in the Elisp manual (the
text is almost the same).  In addition, the manual should say
something more about the differences between these two functions, and
mention when you might use one or the other.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-09 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'