Subject: bug#39301: closed (Re: bug#39301: imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 21:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39301: Guile warnings printed upon reconfigure due to 3.0/2.2 mismatch

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39301: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39301
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39301: imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 23:19:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] skribis:
>
>> Whenever running "sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm I
>> get the following warnings:
>>
>> building
>> /gnu/store/vpazjd711byj3jszh7jrk5d8lq51077g-switch-to-system.scm.drv...
>> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled file
>> /gnu/store/5bd6ywmfcxxa4gvpzg0pdbjwmf24cxkl-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/activation.go
>> failed:
>> ;;; In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: incompatible bytecode kind
>> ;;; compiling

[...]

> All these warnings are harmless and stem from the Guile 2.2/3.0
> transition.  Specifically, it comes from the fact that ‘guix system
> reconfigure’ evaluates this code with the host Guile (in this case 3.0),
> whereas the modules are built for 2.2, which is what the Shepherd
> depends on.
>
> The culprit is ‘local-eval’ in (guix scripts system), which simply uses
> ‘primitive-eval’ to evaluate the code, thus disregarding the Guile
> version that should be used.
>
> One possibility would be to instead evaluate the expression in a
> separate Guile process for the intended Guile version.

It turns out to be easy to implement, and better than let people be
confused when they install the new release.

Done in commit 5517750344be05c91bc2979c1a0e2348a9ae902d.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:35:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Whenever running "sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm I get 
the following warnings:

building 
/gnu/store/vpazjd711byj3jszh7jrk5d8lq51077g-switch-to-system.scm.drv...
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file 
/gnu/store/5bd6ywmfcxxa4gvpzg0pdbjwmf24cxkl-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/activation.go 
failed:
;;; In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: incompatible bytecode kind
;;; compiling 
/gnu/store/p8miza2mpnjdlpmh8504dm9xz2q9nvfr-module-import/gnu/build/activation.scm
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file 
/gnu/store/5bd6ywmfcxxa4gvpzg0pdbjwmf24cxkl-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/accounts.go 
failed:
;;; In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: incompatible bytecode kind
;;; compiling 
/gnu/store/p8miza2mpnjdlpmh8504dm9xz2q9nvfr-module-import/gnu/build/accounts.scm
;;; compiled 
/root/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.2/gnu/store/p8miza2mpnjdlpmh8504dm9xz2q9nvfr-module-import/gnu/build/accounts.scm.go
;;; compiled 
/root/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.2/gnu/store/p8miza2mpnjdlpmh8504dm9xz2q9nvfr-module-import/gnu/build/activation.scm.go
making '/gnu/store/iym6z6hkmdc1x0l1vh4bm08vmsiics2p-system' the current 
system...
setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
populating /etc from /gnu/store/8g5f1kbidns7jrqaxqjldkdldl78zv0n-etc...
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
building 
/gnu/store/pxmi01rf7rpcbgx2j041k01xsr9grm1c-module-import-compiled.drv...
building 
/gnu/store/alamdi63ns0ahis93jz1x4cndy4w09gf-install-bootloader.scm.drv...
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'
;;; WARNING: loading compiled file 
/gnu/store/62gvwndkddaq6203mrisshgiv13kkgcd-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/bootloader.go 
failed:
;;; In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: incompatible bytecode kind
;;; compiling 
/gnu/store/wamhgn5mhgzf9mgp9gxx3w6jn64hw4yc-module-import/gnu/build/bootloader.scm
;;; compiled 
/root/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.2/gnu/store/wamhgn5mhgzf9mgp9gxx3w6jn64hw4yc-module-import/gnu/build/bootloader.scm.go
guix system: bootloader successfully installed on '/boot/efi'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core 
binding `delete'