Subject: bug#3930: closed (Re: bug#3930: DocView failure - bad error message, insufficient documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#3930: DocView failure - bad error message, insufficient documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3930: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3930
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3930: DocView failure - bad error message, insufficient documentation
From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 07:20:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This works for me now.

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 11:24 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> David Reitter <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Trying to open a PDF file with Emacs/NS 23.1 branch (actually
>> Aquamacs, which has no relevant patches compared to the 23.1 branch),  
>> I keep getting a "DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to
>> trace/BPT trap." message in *Messages*.
>> 
>> This happens with all PDFs, even small PDF files.
>> 
>> The buffer that is shown is not updated to reflect the error status.
>> 
>> What's worse is that the error message that is given is absolutely
>> unhelpful.  It's unclear what "trace" or "BPT trap" means in this  
>> concept, or what the abbreviation "BPT" is supposed to mean.  This
>> does not help me as a user in addressing the error condition.
> 
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately haven't gotten any
> responses yet.)
> 
> The string "BPT trap" doesn't exist in the Emacs code base (at least not
> now), so I would suspect that it's an error message given by your OS?
> 
> Are you still seeing this problem in more modern Emacs versions?
> 
> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

Subject: DocView failure - bad error message, insufficient documentation
From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 07:08:32 +0100

Trying to open a PDF file with Emacs/NS 23.1 branch (actually  
Aquamacs, which has no relevant patches compared to the 23.1 branch),  
I keep getting a "DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to trace/ 
BPT trap." message in *Messages*.

This happens with all PDFs, even small PDF files.

The buffer that is shown is not updated to reflect the error status.

What's worse is that the error message that is given is absolutely  
unhelpful.  It's unclear what "trace" or "BPT trap" means in this  
concept, or what the abbreviation "BPT" is supposed to mean.  This  
does not help me as a user in addressing the error condition.

I suspect that it needs some ominous conversion tool that is not  
installed or not installed in the right version.

I also looked up the doc string to "doc-view-mode", but it doesn't say  
anything about pre-requisites.

I finally found something in the source code, but looking  that up is  
not obvious and too much to ask of a user (who is not a dev).  Also,  
even with the given information, I can't tell which of the conversion  
tools it tried to call with what arguments, i.e. which one failed.

This needs a much better error message and ideally a bit more  
documentation.