Subject: bug#39297: guix repl loads Guild 3.0.0 despite dependency is [email-masked]

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:07:38 +0100

Hi,

Moritz Lell <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When I invoke `guix repl`, I get:
>
> GNU Guile 3.0.0
> Copyright (C) 1995-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
> scheme@(guix-user)>
>
>
> despite `guix show guix` shows a dependency of [email-masked]`

That’s perfectly correct: the ‘guix repl’ command comes from the ‘guix’
that you obtained via ‘guix pull’, and which just switched to Guile 3.0
(‘guix pull --news’ should contain an entry about it, but see also
<https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2020/guile-3-and-guix/>.)

Conversely, the ‘guix’ package is still using Guile 2.2, as you saw with
“guix show guix”.  It will switch to 3.0 soonish.

The transition should be mostly complete within a few days so the
situation should be clearer.

HTH!

Ludo’.