Subject: bug#39294: Can't run ./configure

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:51:18 +0100

Hi Damien,

Thank you for reporting the issue.

Which Guix version do you use (command "guix describe")? Against which
Git commit?
Because I am not able to reproduce. :-(

I am using a fresh checkout with the Git commit
5e61de242156cdb3314abac168d9682ca7a4c28f.
And I have tried the old Guix version
d68de958b60426798ed62797ff7c96c327a672ac which is the Guix version of
v1.0.1 (a fresh install), I guess.

Inside a fresh checkout, I run (an old Guix version with time-machine):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix time-machine \
  --commit=d68de958b60426798ed62797ff7c96c327a672ac \
  -- environment --container guix
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Then ./bootstrap and ./configure and the error is about Guile-JSON but
not Guile-Git.

Note that the option '--container' requires to set to 1 that
'/proc/sys/kernel/unprivileged_userns_clone' on my stable Debian.

As Gábor said, "guix pull" should fix the issue.
As Julien pointed out, the option '--pure' could avoid some PATH
issue. Or the "stronger" option '--container' is your kernel supports
it.

I do not know if it is related to the option '--localstatedir=/var'.
But except if you have changed the default when installing Guix, it is
required at ./configure time. Well, it is documented for example here
[1] or there [2] or overthere [3]. I know... :-) My question is:
because you missed it (as I also did), it means that the documentation
could be improved, so where do you think this information should be
provided?

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Requirements
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#The-Store
[3] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git

Please tell us if you have fixed your issue.

All the best,
simon